Saturday, October 25, 2014

I have slacked on writing my blog on time each week. Last 20% time in class I focused the majority of my time on researching statistics on Hispanic education. I want to learn as much as possible about the information that is out there on the education of Latinos.

Currently, there is a rise in Latino students, but it is still not as high as it could be. My dream is for every Hispanic to make education a priority in their lives. I understand that some people are not meant for school, and there are people that do better working on things outside of a classroom. That is still not an excuse for dropping out of school, or not even trying to do well in class.

It infuriates me that some Latinos in the US do not take advantage of the endless opportunities they have to succeed here. There are people in foreign countries that would do anything to attend school and have the chance to further their education, but they have limited resources available. Here in the US, there are so many resources we have to make our education valuable, yet people seem to ignore this and give up pursuing a higher education.

With that being said, my goal for the next meeting is to express the educational opportunities that the Latino population should take advantage of. I still have not heard from the Arcado principle so
I am assuming she doesn't want me to participate with the students.

Hopefully by the end of this week I will have the next meeting with the TMS students scheduled.

7 comments:

  1. What you're doing is a really good thing and I think you could really change their lives. I know that as a Hispanic student myself, it can be hard. I get frustrated with others Hispanics who don't try at all in school because their actions build to the stereotype that Hispanics just work in construction or clean houses and aren't to bright. Some teachers have looked at me with surprise, as of to say, "Do you really belong in an AP class?" Hopefully your efforts will help break this stereotype and Hispanic kids can focus on their education to provide a better future for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, your project truly represents your character. This is a fantastic idea, and I really hope the schools/teachers find the time for you to come in and talk to them. I think it's important to reach out to the younger audience so that they are prepared when they enter high school and won't be as lost. You can truly make a difference in my opinion. I really want to know how the progress of your project is, so I will definitely be checking up on your blog. Love the enthusiasm, too! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame that Trickum and Arcado haven't been too cooperative, but you're doing wonderful work here. Hopefully they will help more in the future. The blog's very colorful and interesting as well. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the schools start to cooperate and you can do this. This project idea is so amazing--that you're actually doing community service and trying to impact people's lives. I've always been really interested in the idea of your project, and I can't wait to see it shape up until your presentation. If even one student listens, it'll all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really happy that you decided to go above and beyond yourself and instead focused on a rising generation of Hispanics. I wish someone had done the same for me. I didn't come to know what scholarships or higher education was until high school.
    If Arcado doesn't work out, you can always try Camp Creek. It's closer, and I'm pretty sure there's a sizeable group of Hispanic children there too.
    You're doing a lot here Emily. As Abi had mentioned, if only one child takes in what you've said to him/her, then you've already made a difference in someone's life. While you mention all these great opportunities that are available, please tell them to remember who they are and where they came from. They should not try to conform to anything, but instead, stand out proudly, even if they are the only one doing so. The end for this project is fast approaching, but if you have time, you should definitely continue it next semester. It would be inspiring for them to know what college you got accepted into and may give them more of a drive to follow after someone whose aspirations and goals are high.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing project. It's important for everyone to get a good education, and it's great that you're letting kids know what opportunities are out there for them. Anyone can succeed if they put forth the effort. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your organization idea is fantastic. It's so good to work on something you're so passionate about. It does seem like a topic that would require patience but you're progressing really great. I can't wait to see your presentation and see how far you get

    ReplyDelete